Saturday 19 January 2013

Local literature needs well-intentioned analysis — Daphne Lee | The Star, Malaysia

‟REGULAR readers of this column will be familiar with my rants about badly written and poorly illustrated Malaysian children’s books. An acquaintance said to me that I have never written a good review of a local children’s book. His definition of “good review” was one that was totally positive. He said, “You say you want to promote local writers and encourage them to produce children’s books with Malaysian content, but you contradict yourself by constantly criticising what is locally published.”

Can support only be shown through glowing reviews? I’ve been told that a well-known Malaysian columnist doesn’t review local lit because it just doesn’t make the grade and he doesn’t think he should be wasting column inches on work that is merely good enough by Malaysian standards (I didn’t read the column so I’m not sure how accurate this is).

I read local literature because I’m interested in all literature and I love reading. I remember being a kid, reading Enid Blyton’s The Five Find-Outers and changing all the characters’ names to Malaysian ones. I wanted to read stories about other Malaysian children having exciting adventures and I want my children (and all Malaysian children) to be able to do that.

As an editor and a writer, I want to see the local publishing industry grow and blossom. I want to see effort made to produce good books of all genres. Yes, I support and encourage local publishers and writers. I don’t often write glowing reviews but I don’t think that’s the only way to show support. In fact, I don’t think it helps anyone much if a glowing review is written merely for its own sake. I don’t believe in misleading the public, publishers or writers. If something isn’t good enough, I believe in saying so and saying why I don’t think it’s good enough.”

No comments:

Post a Comment